Thursday, September 2, 2010

Viva Mexico?

What I am going to talk about today is a topic which I am directly affected and moved by; the current drug war happening in my country, Mexico.
When I was little my favorite past time was to go out on Sundays with my family, walk in the central city “plaza” and eat my favorite street food “tacos al vapor”. As I grew older, these Sunday activities became a routine along with other activities like going out, and hanging out in different places of Monterrey Mexico; City in which I was raised. 
My grade eleven year of high school, Monterrey was not a place you wanted to live in. Streets were invaded with military men armed with large, intimidating weapons. Mexico, but Nuevo Leon in particular (a northern state in Mexico) was dealing with a drug war. Things started getting ugly, and all of us northern Mexican citizens were living under fear;  We didn't like it. My Sunday routine with my family started to stop happening, clubbing and partying with my friends was not an option, and living a normal life seemed impossible.  I was sent to British Columbia, Canada to a boarding school to finish high school. I can truly say I had the most amazing time and made the most amazing friends, but leaving my life behind was hard. I missed my family, friends and school, but I knew going back was jeopardizing my safety. I hated the fact that I had to leave not by choice but by an unfair situation. I hated reading the news and learning about a new fight, more death, and even worse, more kidnappings.
Mexico is awesome, I mean come on, everything is cheaper, the people are kind and friendly, the beaches are beautiful, the parties are amazing and the food is even better. I have always been really proud of my country and our achievements, until now. The situation has gotten out of control and we are in serious need of help. Over the years, the drug lords have become the new government. It is them who decide what is done, and they are the main authority. The rule with fear, and that is their biggest weapon. Citizens and politicians are scared of them so there is not much that we can do. I believe that the only solution is to get help from other major powers like the US. The U.S could bring an army, fight the drug lords.  It is only with the help of others that the drug war can finally be ended.


 It hurts to know that a place you loved so much has become a war and death zone and it only makes me think “how could this happen?”, “why us?”.
Since when did it become okay to kill innocent people, to take away someone’s freedom until you get their money? The situation disgusts me. It makes me feel helpless as there is nothing we can do to help. Corruption between the government and police forces overpower the goodness in the citizens, and an act of kindness and initiative can get you killed. 
I hope one day this will all come to an end, but for now the question is Viva Mexico! Really? 

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, the situation in Monterrey and most of Mexico has gotten way out of hand. The drug cartels no longer have any sense of decency or respect for the innocent people that are affected daily by their actions in many ways. Parents are afraid to let their kids go out, two weeks ago there was a shooting right outside of my high school. Why would they let them go out to any other type of place when they are no longer safe at their own school. The things that are happening in Mexico no longer make me feel the same pride that I used to have for my own country, no longer do I want to shout "Viva Mexico" at the top of my lungs during the celebration of our independence. The solutions that the government has implemented are clearly not helping the situation, since the military came into Monterrey things have only gotten worse. Something else has to be done to protect the people of Mexico. People that have the chance to leave are doing it, and you cant blame them. What else are you supposed to do when you cant even walk out in broad daylight, let alone at night, without feeling insecure. So as you said, Viva Mexico? Not really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope one day this will all come to an end, not only in Mexico but also where i am from, Sao Paulo, Brazil. I had a similar experience to yours, I also had the misfortune to be forced to leave my beloved city. In 2007, I moved to Lisbon, Portugal, due to a magazine article about how my dad sold the family business. Avoiding the possibility of my siblings and I being kidnapped again, my dad, in a month, he managed to move my entire family to Portugal. I just hope one day we can all go back to our beloved cities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really happy that you guys agree with me, and I honestly think the majority of us not only mexican, but latin american citizens who are suffering from violence and drug wars in our native countries are sick and tired of putting up with it. This is only the beginning of change. If we all stand up for what we want and we believe, the hopes of bringing peace into our countries will increase.

    Eugenio, I read the article about the school shooting and it was devastating. I can't beleive kids are being exposed to death the way they are, and being deprived from a normal, safe childhood.

    Thomas, your story is amazing and it is even more amazing to see that after being kidnapped yourself you have endured everything that has happened. I wish only the best for you and hope that one day you'll return to Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you all. And Thomas all I can say is WOW and thank God you have made it out of that ordeal. I truly hope you are able to go back.

    Although I am not Latina, I too understand what you guys are going through. My parents are from Haiti and I lived there when I was younger, but I know there is no way I can go back. Do not get me wrong I yearn to go back, especially after the earthquakes so I can help. The only thing that is holding me back is my fear. My country also have violence, kidnapping, murders, and even rapes daily.

    My question to myself and to you all is as followed:
    When we are established in our lives, how are we going to help our countries?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a sad situation because for the reason that all of you guys have stated out, we can return and enjoy a safe visit to our country. I haven't been able to go to Mexico because my parents fear for our safety. Last time we were there, about four years ago, we were stopped numerous amounts of times by officers and searched due to our foreign license plates. It was hard to keep calm since you were not able to tell if these people were real police officers or members of a gang. It's just upsetting to know that one cannot even go into their country without fear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with you all as well, although I haven't had the experience of being kidnapped or being shot at, my family came from Vietnam, a war torn country that has affect my entire family. It is such a pity that such beautiful countries are affected by war and violence.

    I have been back to Vietnam a few time and everywhere I went, there was always the thick presence of the military and heavily armed police men. From beach resorts to the shopping malls, the military was everywhere and I could only think about what brought that country to the point of constant show of power. Only when we were either deep in the jungle or high in the mountains did the presence thin out. Why is it so hard to have the sense of security with as little intimidation as possible as we do have in the United States?

    I heard my mother talk to one of the family friends while at lunch and one of the most impacting things is that during the last weeks of our visit to Vietnam, she felt so ready to come back to the states because she felt so insecure and undefended. Why do we take this sense of security for granted and what can we do to spread this common security?

    ReplyDelete