I was riding the elevator of my residence hall, when I noticed a big yellow paper with the words "Sexual Assault Reported by Student". I thought it had to be from another campus, SMU is the safest place. I decided to do some research on assaults and violence, not only on campus, but related to SMU students; I was surprised by how many articles I found.
Whether it was for stealing a purse, or sexually assaulting a students, incidents like these occur somewhat frequently at SMU. I'd like to say I was in shock, but I wasn't. All of these incidents happened after 2am. We all know that there is violence out there, there are crazy people everywhere. Sexual assaults, stealing, assaulting at gunpoint, these actions are all unacceptable. But I believe though, and disagree with me if you don't, that if they happen after 2am you somehow asked for it. 2am is late at night, when streets are almost empty and the dark is the only witness. I am not saying that the victims of assaults have the fault for what happened, not at all. I am just saying that they didn't take the precautions needed, like never walking to your car alone. It is proven that attackers like to "hunt" for their victims at night. We all know that it is unsafe to walk the streets alone, and to travel by yourself at night.
My point is, if you know you are going to be out late, make sure it is with a group. Don't drive or walk by yourself. Statistics prove that you will end up loosing. Want it or not, attackers are everywhere, even in the places we least expect it (like Highland Park).

This is such a sad story, and reading the article made it seem like a story sewn only in movies. But unfortunately it is another proof of innocent people dying because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I just heard in the news that around 2,600 innocent children have died in shootings in the past 4 years, related to drug dealers and such. Just past summer my family and I visited Mexico for family business. We did get stopped in the way by some very mysterious patrol persons; but fortunately we made it back safe and sound.
ReplyDelete